Coconut Oil For The Win!
If you haven't heard about coconut oil then you must be living on the moon (or somewhere else with no internet connection) and you most probably still have a Nokia 3210 where the most amazing feature is the game snake! I am moving off topic but you get my point - where have you been?!
The coconut oil craze is large, its real and it is taking centre stage in not only the kitchen but in the bathroom too. This legendary oil has so many uses, it is 100% natural and tastes beautiful. It is that great you can even feed it to your dog!
WARNING: Here is some nerdy science to explain why its so cool (skip this paragraph to the list of uses below if you don't like science chat!)....
All oils are comprised of Fatty Acids (FA) and these can be long-chain fatty acids (LCFA) or medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA). Most fats and oils we consume in our diet are made up of LCFA, however MCFA are totally different and these are what coconut oil is made up of. Half of coconut oil is made up of lauric acid this is a MCFA that we can easily digest, diffusing through our intestinal membrane no problem, unlike the LCFA which are digested slowly and require bile and pancreatic enzymes to aid digestion. The MCFA in coconut oil can also pass through the blood-brain barrier and supply our brain with energy! Pretty cool hey!
So what can we use it for? Lets take a closer look at this rising star and you can start to work out how you can include it in your daily routine! The really awesome thing is, its so versatile, it may also save you money!
- Cooking. The obvious one first right, use it to fry your veg or meat, use it in dishes, add it to smoothies.
- Moisturiser. It is amazing at soothing dry or cracked skin.
- Lip Balm. Granted it does melt at around 24c so it may be hard to carry in a little stick but when you have a jar you can use it for lip balm. It tastes great too!
- Insect Repellent. Just add some peppermint oil and some rosemary or tea tree oil and lather it on to keep those pesky mites away!
- Conditioner. I love it for this, you add it to your hair for around 1 hour and then wash it out and it restores the shine and moisture! I used to pay loads for a conditioning treatment until I tried this.
- Toothpaste. Coconut oil cleanses and flushes the harmful bacteria from your mouth and also naturally whitens your teeth! (you can also try oil pulling, but I won't get into that right now).
- Bath Time. Add a spoon to your bath to come out with wonderfully soft skin!
- Antibacterial. Coconut oil speeds up the healing of wounds as it is antibacterial and anti-fungal!
- Use in the sun. It is a natural sunscreen (only around 4SPF) but is great to sooth and heal sunburn.
- Massage Oil. It smells good, it moisturises skin, it is antibacterial and anti-fungal so it makes an amazing product for masseuses!
- Reduces Stretch Marks. Mums! Coconut oil helps to fade the dark marks and redness and hydrates your skin so it heals faster. Winner!
- Fight that Acne! Acne breakouts are caused when there is a bacterial overgrowth and an imbalance in the oil in our skin. The natural antibacterial properties in coconut oil can kill the harmful bacteria that leads to serious breakouts of acne.
- Natural deodorant. Try it out as a chemical free substitute!
- It is PH balanced. Coconut oil is neither acid or alkaline so it has no effect on your body.
- Hormone balancing. The fatty acids in coconut oil help the hormones to get to their destination and provide the building blocks for hormone production.
- It helps with weight Loss. Coconut oil increases metabolism and prevents hunger.
- It is a Gut Healer. It helps to repair tissue and encourages the growth of the good bacteria we want and need in our gut.
- It helps with vitamin absorption. Coconut oil helps to improve the absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.
- Home made sports drink. Add coconut oil, fruit and a little rock salt to water and the fast acting MCFA will help your recovery after a fitness session and boost your immune system.
- Coconut oil for your pets! Add a little coconut oil to your pets dinner or on their coat and skin. It is a great antibacterial and it isn't dangerous and full of chemicals if your pet licks it off and it is a great immune builder. We give it to our dogs and they love it, it helps to make their coat shiny too!
Now you can see why coconut oil rocks and why it is getting the fame it rightly deserves! It really is true when they call the coconut tree the 'tree of life'. One final tip though, make sure you buy the right kind of coconut oil, unrefined virgin, raw coconut is extracted from fresh coconuts soon after picking, there are no added chemicals to treat the oil. Unlike refined coconut oil which is bleached and deodorised in a factory so it can be used by humans due to the unsanitary conditions the coconut is stored in by the farmers.
I love the Lucy Bee coconut oil, it tastes great and I love the brand behind the product but there are many more to choose from. Coconut oil is seriously taking over the shopping isles!
So, buy unrefined and get to work! Let me know how you get on and if you use it for anything else. I am sure there are way more than 20 uses for coconut oil, but 20 isn't a bad start!