The humble avocado, its taking the world by storm. This popular fruit has become a staple with the health nuts and is hitting the streets in so many bars, cafes and restaurants it is rare not to see an avocado dish on the menu. Why? I hear you ask! Well not only does this fruit taste amazing with its creamy texture, there are a few more reasons this fruit has gained its superfood status.....
- Avocados are packed full of nutrients; vitamins K,C,B6, B2, and E, potassium, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc and manganese to name just some. Wild hey!
- It is low in carbohydrates and contains healthy fats and fibre.
- It is a better source of potassium than the fruit that is hailed the potassium king - bananas. Potassium is an electrolyte which is important for the body as it supports a healthy balance of fluids and allowing us to transmit electrical pulses for nerves and muscles to function.
- Vitamins A,D,E and K are fat soluble vitamins which need fat for absorption. Avocados have the fat to help the absorption of these vitamins take place.
- Avocado is high in antioxidants which are amazing at fighting free radicals (pesky little blighters which can have a nasty effect on our body).
- Their thick skin means they are one of the fruits which is protected from chemicals that may be used during growing (unless you like to eat avocado skin?!)
So bravo the avocado! Bravocado!!!